Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Are you...

content?

The word 'contentment' popped up on my calendar last Friday.  It's not a word I hear much but seeing it certainly made me pause and think about my state of contentment.

Years ago I remember the word 'contented' being used to describe cows but, for the life of me, could not remember in what context.  Sooooo a Google search was in order...contented cows give better milk, there's a bar called The Contented Cow in Northfield, MN, and it was the Carnation company from which I first heard the term 'contented cow.'  Thank you Google!

October 2011
Lawrence Brook - Davidson's Mill Pond to Farrington Lake, South Brunswick, NJ
(Davidson's Mill Road at Riva Avenue, East Brunswick/South Brunswick border)

So, are you content?  I believe I am.  Some days I'm more content than others but, for the most part, I'd consider myself content.  The calendar page says to sit down and say the word and see what happens...you just might have a physical response.  OK, ready?  Say the word.  Feel anything?  Pretty powerful for a word you don't hear much.

14 comments:

  1. I feel like you...I am pretty content. We do not hear that word very much...like the content photo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photo! Hmm ... am I content? I guess so, but like you my contentment seems to go back and forth on any given day. Today I am not content. I am tired of gray skies and winter weather! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like gratitude, contentment is a feeling that must be actively practiced. Or else, the things of the world can weigh you down. The more I think, reflect upon contentment, the more I am.

    Such a lovely photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a special word and i love the feeling/state of being content. Beautiful photo Helene.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not but the photo is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to have to say that a few times - and see what comes up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You so well represent New Jersey's beauty! Thanks


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    ~ > < } } ( ° > <3
    > < } } ( ° >
    > < 3 3 3 ( ' >

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear it all the time because I know it's who I am right now, despite the turmoil in my life. You see, I've always thought that happiness is fleeting, but contentment, if you have it, lasts longer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It IS a powerful word! Cows just seem inherently contented, I think.

    I love that photo. We used to live just a few miles away from that area in E.B.!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post, Helen. So thought-provoking.

    Some strive for happiness -- I strive for contentment. It's more realistic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. first .. j'adore that photo .. so very lovely, it reminds me of the french impressionists ... and content ... well i think that 99% of the time i am content with my life and job ... the other 1% is open to kvetching

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the photo! Love the photo! Love the photo!

    Content? I'd say I am, and probably am most of the time. I'm aware of being grateful a lot, even on bad days, for what really feels like a blessed life. I think contentment is a different perspective on the same thing. Awareness of having what we need. It's easy to forget that as we always strive for more, for better, for something else. I have a quote at my desk, "Gratitude turns what we have into enough."

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a fairly content person as well. But a lot of our society's economy is built upon creating dis-content in people so they buy and consume more... sad isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am content I think. Most of the time!

    I am glad that I found your blog. It's amazing and very very interesting. Your picture of autumn is fabulous!!!

    Greetings from Kaya

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!