Tuesday, March 12, 2013

15 Minutes...

I recently read an article written by Darren Rowse of the Digital Photography School (on-line) concerning an exercise you can do to improve your photography.  I've become more of a technical person lately and that's not always a good thing.  It's taken me away from the actual joy of photographing and actually looking and seeing what is around me.

So, following the author's instructions, I sat for 10 minutes in my kitchen, took a good look at my location, gave consideration to the light in the room, paid attention to how the setting made me feel, and noticed any details.  The next 5 minutes were spent photographing.  I cheated and spent 10.

Here is what I came away with...
750 ml
Last call.

Closing time.

Luckily there was this beautiful empty green wine bottle sitting on the window sill waiting to be put into the recycle bin.  If not for that, it would have been pots, pans, and dirty dishes.  Do you have any tricks to improve your craft?

Now I'm off to clean the kitchen floor!

18 comments:

  1. The third photo is a work of art. Well done. I think your new learning worked well here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the green color! It's amazing how many times we handle bottles, and how often do we really see them?

    My only "trick" is to shoot something every day, even if it's just a snapshot with my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Richard. Well done. Subjects are all around. We just have to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, did the setting make you fee like you needed a drink? Just kidding! Lovely photos, I would have had to take photos of pots and pans - probably dirty ones to boot.
    I've done the "walk fifty steps and take a photo once you are there" exercise. The others are correct - there's plenty of inspiration around us - we have to take the time to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice series Helene, I am always shooting something most days, I feel a little lost if I can't find anything to shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. no tricks .. i just point and shoot

    ReplyDelete
  7. My exercise was to buy a Nikon book for dummies, leaf through it, and put it away. Like Daryl, I just point and shoot, though I occasionally try to master a new technique. Not often enough to feel virtuous, however, and have something stunning to display for it (as you have, above).

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely work! sometimes we just have to open our eyes to what's right in front of us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great аrticle, totally what I wanted to find.

    Herе is my weblog :: wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. To be honest, I use my heart to guide my photography. I'm not real good about techy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are very nice, great light!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like a good exercise. I shoot outside, it seems, almost exclusively. Looking for things around my home would probably cause me to want to dust or organize or something like that:--) Very nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The bottle has so much detail...beautiful shot

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your 15 minutes were well spent! You are truly an inspiration for us. Your pictures are awesome! Beautiful bokeh! Which lens did you use? (I need to do some catching up with your blog). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! For these shots I used a Nikkor 24-85 f2.8-4 FX lens that has macro mode built in (picked up on sale from B&H when I purchased my D800). All are HDR composits of 5 shots each, converted in Nik HDR software (love the NIK software programs!). My only concern with HDR processing is that you have to take care not to overprocess and have the shot come out looking too unreal. One thing for sure...this was great fun!

      Delete
  15. My only trick is shoot everything and shoot a lot! Love the last shot with the horizontal bottle... xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with Richard. The third one is great! It looks like the glass is floating a little to me for some reason.

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!