Tuesday, January 22, 2013

It's all in the timing...

(A Weekly Top Shot entry)

Who would have thought as youngsters, learning to tell time, that the big dial with the smiling face and big hands that went around in circles pointing at those big black numbers, would play such an important role in our every-waking and sleeping moments.

An old Russian watch purchased years ago at a flea market,
HDR processed in Nik Software HDR Efex Pro 3.0.
We are governed by that big dial but it's a 'catch-22.'  We need to be at work on time but when was the last time you left for home on time.  You must be at your doctors office on time otherwise they'll give your appointment to someone else and still charge you!  And what about those people who tell you they'll call you around 4-ish or they'll meet you at 5-ish for dinner.  Are you supposed to hang around and wait for the call, not really knowing if they'll call at 3:45 or 4 or 4:15 or whatever.  And when is dinner?  5-ish?  Am I supposed to show up at 4:30 or 5 or 5:30?
4-ish or 5-ish?

And beware...when you're meeting someone for dinner or drinks and that person is a stickler about time, do not be late.  If you are, you're going to pay for it all through dinner.  Yes, I get that being late might be considered an insult...you are taking advantage of that person's time.  But really, is 5 or 10 minutes a deal-breaker?  Why let those minutes ruin a perfectly good meal?

HDR B&W done through Nik Software.
And then there are those who never wear a watch, could care less if they are early or late, and have little idea what day it is.  I think you call that retirement.  As for me, I'll probably always wear a watch but I'll also cut you some slack if you're late.


14 comments:

  1. Yes, it seems that we can be slaves to that round dial. Or has everything gone digital now? I don't even wear a watch anymore. My fave is the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't wear a watch, either. There are clocks everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my husband's best friend was so notoriously late when he was younger, they would tell him to be somewhere an hour earlier then everyone else. it even came to be known as the "wally factor." ;)

    love the b/w photo here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great! I have some Nik software, but I've never tried the HDR with it. I might have to now. It looks like you've been doing HDR a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping you'd see these and let me know what you thought. These are the very first of about 4 series I took...all the same watch. The b&w is by far my favorite. That's made up of 5 shots, 1 stop apart, converted to HDR in Nik HDR Efex Pro and then on to Silver Efex Pro2 for the b&w. I'm having a ball with this...I only wish I had more opportunities to shoot. Thank you so much for stopping by and taking a look!

      Delete
    2. Helene, I use NIK too, I have Color Effects, Silver Effects (but I don't to B&W) Viveza, and Sharpener Pro. I'd like to get dFine, but their plugins are pricey... its taken me a number of years to acquire what I have now...

      Delete
  5. I quit wearing a watch about three years ago, I just look at my cell phone... but I don't like being late, it is stressful. My workday is framed by time.. each leg of my route starts (or is supposed to) at an appointed time, and ends at an appointed time. You can NEVER be early, but late gets you parental scowls. Clock in, clock out.... I love days when time is of no importance...

    ReplyDelete
  6. my watch is in for repair ... i must have looked at my semi naked wrist at least a bazillion times in the last 2.5 weeks ... and i am one of those who hates to be late so i am always ridiculously early ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on these shots! I haven't worn a watch in years, been using the cell phone instead. Lately I've been missing my watch though, not sure why...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That first image is gorgeous -- love the green. I'm less dictated by the clock since I retired, but there are things that need to be done at certain times of the day, so I guess one never truly is off the clock.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are lovely! First shot is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the photos and the watch! I confess I'm a watch fanatic, but I still manage to be late!?? Not sure why this is, but maybe it's because I'm too busy looking at my watch to get there early...! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Helene for sharing on Weekly Top Shot #67, I always enjoy your posts...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these shots! They're gorgeous!

    Time? Watches? Late? I used to be late a lot. . .until I realized that it felt out of control and crazy-making.

    Doctors here ask patients now to check in 10 minutes early, which I do. Then I get to wait an additional 45 minutes to an hour depending on how late they may be running that day.

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!