Saturday, December 15, 2012

Finding your niche...

(A Weekly Top Shot entry)

When I got my very first 'adult' camera, I was 22 and newly married.  I loved all those dials and settings and lenses and...and...and...that's were the love affair ended.  I just couldn't wrap my head around apertures, ISOs, focal lengths, DOF, and shutter speeds (still having problems with that one).  But I struggled through it.

When my son was born in 1977, I moved from the fully manual Yashica to a Canon Rebel....yippee! no more manual focusing.  But between taking care of a baby and working and commuting, the camera stayed on automatic and, over the years, there wasn't really that much time to devote to taking photographs.  What I was taking were pictures...pictures of my son doing everything and anything, family get-togethers, holidays, etc.

Fast forward to 2012...I think I'm finally taking photographs.  But, I recently reviewed what I'm shooting and I don't think I've found a niche...a subject that I truly love to the point where I want to explore every aspect of the it, know it inside and out and, most importantly, be expert at it.  Actually, I'd love to be expert at everything I shoot but that's not going to happen.  So, I may not be an expert, but I know what I like...scenery, still life, florals, and macros, playing with depth of field and experimenting with natural light.  Don't ask me to take a photo of a person (even if that person is willing to step in front of my lens) or use a flash (I'd rather up my ISO).

So, have you found your niche?  Have you found the 'thing' that lights up your passion?  I wonder what will happen if and when I find mine.  Photokismet maybe?

Some things I liked this past weekend...including the heavy fog...

 

20 comments:

  1. Ah, these are beautiful, Helene. I love landscapes and nature. I'm figuring they are my niche. I'm fine enough with people, or so I'm told. But people are just so unpredictable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helene... I wouldn't stress too much about niches and camera settings and such.

    You and I and so many people are documenting our history. Whether it's perfect or not is not really important.

    That's my story and... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH I LOVE the Goose in motion! Superb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful misty shots. I can feel the chill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely shots - I especially like the one of the goose - I can feel the motion.
    As for your niche, I wouldn't sweat it - photograph whatever makes you happy - you know - when you click the shutter release and feel a sense of happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well, this series is just lovely! and unless it's your goal to become a professional landscape/portrait/wildlife/whatever photographer, it doesn't really matter. as long as there's a smile behind the camera, that's enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Smile behind the camera'....I like that a lot!

      Delete
  7. That goose taking off is wonderful! I don't know if I have a niche either, but I shoot everything I like and play with it all! Thank you for sharing on Weekly Top Shot #61!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Originally I thought I would like to have had that goose much sharper but, when I really studied the photo, I actually liked the little blur. It said 'I'm outta here!' to me. LOL

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous! I like the way you see things... and how they're captured.

    Simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I believe you are new here and your comments mean a lot. I may not have an opportunity to reply BUT you can be sure I read each and every comment. Lately my posts have not been as frequent as I would like but I would be so happy to see you back!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful! I love the contrast between the fog and the spidery vegetation. Magical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is what I was trying to go for. :)

      Delete
  10. these photos are excellent .. i am not sure why you are whining ... who needs to know what the settings are? see something, point and shoot .. thats all i do

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now isn't it a comfort to read such encouraging words? I love the shots you've posted and enjoy the narratives you include.

    I've found when I've tried too hard to become professional and expert at one thing or another it begins to ruin the joy and spontaneity. (Or, maybe it competes too much with a short attention span?) Whatever goes into it, photography seems to take us into a brief moment. How we get there seems to be up to each of us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great action with the goose! The fog in the first one with the contrast of the sharp reflection of grass is great too. I like not having a "niche". Even when I'm in a photo session with a person, I can sometimes be caught staring at a bug thinking about a macro shot, or thinking this is a great sunset/location for a landscape. It all interests me so I never want to concentrate on one part.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the blurry goose too. Somehow it just works! I too am a macro person, or just nature. I guess that's because I live in the country and that is what I have on hand to photograph. People who live in cities tend towards architecture and street art. Yes? I'm not into photographing people either, and certainly not the portrait variety. I'd rather catch them unaware of my camera! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Helene - I just want to thank you for following my photography and for your kind comments in the course of the year. They are all very welcome and greatly appreciated!
    I wish you and you family a very Merry Christmas and all the best for 2013.
    Take care and greetings from Switzerland,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  15. Поздравляю с Рождеством Христовым! В этот светлый праздник хочу пожелать мира и спокойствия в вашем доме, добра, взаимопонимания, достатка, любви, счастья, душевного равновесия, успехов во всех начинаниях, побольше радости, крепкого здоровья и всех благ! Пусть оправдываются все ожидания и сбудутся самые заветные мечты!
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!