Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Eat Hearty...

You're standing in a checkout line and the person behind you is standing way too close and sniffling and coughing all over the back of your neck.  You're at the ATM and the person in front of you just sneezed all over the touch screen.  Or the person in the bathroom stall next to you just left without washing their hands.  Ahhhhhh, you know that feeling....the 'Good God, I think I'm coming down with a cold and the holidays are around the corner' feeling.  What to do, what to do.

I came home from work Thursday night with that dreaded feeling.  I could feel something lurking, I could feel something sinister waiting to attack.   But noooooo, not so fast bud!  I've got homemade soup, whole grain bread, and a bottle of wine here and you don't stand a chance.  Besides, I'm on vacation tomorrow and you won't ruin my day off!

So that's what I did...I ate something hearty.  I heated up some homemade cabbage soup, toasted up some wonderful thick slices of bread (with dipping oil, of course), and opened up a bottle of red.  And, just in case I needed reinforcements, this was followed, at bed time, by a shot of Tylenol Multi-Symptom Nighttime Cold Medicine.


Bully Hill Vineyards I Love My Goat red wine...
I am not a wine connoisseur so, if you see this wine
in the +$15/bottle section of your liquor store, someone
has made a mistake.  Return to the $8.99/bottle section.

And all is right with the world....until the next 'attack.'  It's the cold and flu season...be safe everyone!

T-J Miracle Soup
(from Sacred Heart Hospital in Spokane, Washington for Overweight Heart Patients)
  • 6 large onions
  • 2 green peppers
  • whole tomatoes (fresh or canned) - I use canned diced tomatoes and do not drain.
  • 1 head of cabbage
  • large stalk of celery
  • season with dry onion soup mix
Cut up all the vegetables and cover with water in a large post.  Boil 10 minutes.  Cover, lower heat and simmer until the vegetables are soft.

Yes, this soup is great if you're dieting.  You can eat as much as you want...it's claim is that it does not add any calories.  However, beware if your system is sensitive to cabbage...you know what I mean.  It freezes well and everyone in my family loves it.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great recipe - I'm always on the lookout for good soups and stews. I will definitely be trying this recipe. I absolutely hate the feeling of an oncoming illness, knowing that a lot of times, there is nothing to be done. Great photo as well! Regards,

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mega-C bought OTC .. take it with an aspirin and you will fight off all manor of evil germs .. of course the soup/bread/wine is also a good cure for whatever ails you ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red whine is the new cough and cold killer. Wells thats my excuse anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds a bit like Weight Watchers '1 point' soup, and yes, you can just about eat as much as you like... I love your wine comment... that's me too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't dare drink wine on a regular basis -- too many calories, but the soup sounds devine. Hope you are on the mend my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 6 onions?!! holy cow, i think the secret here is that people, sick or not, will avoid getting close to you!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your remedy worked! I'm a soup-lover. . .I'll have to give the recipe a try, though tonight's going to be seafood chowder.

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!