Thursday, November 8, 2012

A seat among the thorns...

A photojournalist I am not.  This was so evident last week during the hurricane.  For some reason I just could not bring myself to photograph the trauma, drama, destruction, and devastation around me.  Looking back, I was really annoyed about this.  I feel like I missed a chapter in my history book.  Oh well, it's done...for the most part.

So here I am, revisiting photos I took just prior to the storm.  It's a good thing.  It's connected me with 'normal.'  It's reminded me of the 'beautiful.'  It's there...under all the debris, sand, mud, broken glass, and water.  It's there and we'll see it again.

Over the next several posts I'll probably be posting shots of the Davidson's Mill Pond Park area in South Brunswick, NJ.  It's one of my favorite haunts.  Hope you enjoy these shots and enjoy revisiting the beauty and the normal with me.

The same bench photographed at different shutter speeds...both at f5.6, ISO100, 160mm...and edited in Adobe Photoshop Elements 9...

@ 1/160 sec.

@ 1/125 sec.
 
Enhancing in Photoshop Elements, I got two totally different results.  I can't decide which one I prefer.  I will have to go back there to sit and enjoy the view of the pond.  Maybe, next time, I'll catch a shot of the blue heron.

8 comments:

  1. I hope this doesn't come through twice, so Helene please delete if it does. My first attempt does not seem to have published:

    I like the first one. Love the color saturation. It feels warm and cozy as opposed to the cool tones of the second photo. Just MHO! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bothe shots are wonderful... what a lovely spot.
    Sure hope you didn't get hit by the nor'easter that just went through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Watch out for those thorns ... they hate me and are always ripping at my clothing and drawing blood wherever they grab. In fact, I wrote a rather fanciful blog post about them. ( http://www.rickandlynne.com/lynne/index.php/lynne/2012/10/P10/ )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like 'em both - each has an element to recommend it. I like that the textures up close come through nicely in both of them.

    I'm no pro, either, but you've got to go with your gut about documenting life with your pictures. Is it removing you from the event? Do you really want to record what you're seeing? I've found when the event has me rattled that my pictures are often very disappointing. And it's not over when you think it's over. You probably know that one singular image or one very small thing can say more than going large and snapping everything in sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great thoughts here! Something to really think about. BIG thanks!

      Delete
  5. I like both of the edits, but if you forced me to choose, I would say I preferred the first. It says autumn to me a little more than the second. I really like the image.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the 1st one...
    so warm colours...

    xoxo, Juliana | PJ’ Happies :) | PJ’ Ecoproject

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is magnificent I had no idea about this until I discovered this post of yours over here. Will you be so kind and answer my question. Do you own any helpful info about how to defend your posts from being stolen?

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!