Thursday, October 25, 2012

The butterfly bush...

I have a dear friend Marie who has a beautiful butterfly bush in her yard.  She has enjoyed watching numerous butterflies all summer long.  I absolutely needed one of these butterfly bushes.  After all, what a great way to create photo ops.  So, at the beginning of the summer, I planted one and waited...and waited...and waited.  Flowers bloomed and died off and bloomed again but I saw no butterflies...until last weekend when I went out to cut everything back in preparation for winter.  There it was...one butterfly and a companion.  I was thrilled and even more thrilled that it waited around for me to get my camera.  I managed to shoot more than several photos and, with a slight breeze, they are certainly not as sharp as I would have liked but I did get to document a 'first' in the garden.

Now, can anyone identify these creatures?  I pulled out and dusted off an old insect guide and believe it might be a Painted Lady.  Could the companion be a young butterfly or is it just a moth along for the ride.

Pardon the repetition of photos but I just could not resist!  I had to wait until the fall for this event!

 

 

11 comments:

  1. looks like a monarch found its way from Cape May .. they migrate in the fall ... and its side kick looks like a moth to moi .. better luck next summer ... but it was worth the wait ... those are wonderful fotos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm pretty sure it is a Painted Lady, not a Monarch. It's side kick looks like it might be a Skipper which are pretty common. My butterfly bush didn't do much this year and it bloomed really late and half-heartedly. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen those in my landscaping, especially this time of year on the Sedum. Hopefully, you'll get more visitors next year! Love your last shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice! A butterfly visitor willing to pose! What a nice farewell to summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shots! Once they find your bush, you will definitely see butterflies next year (as well as some moths). My hubby has planted several butterfly bushes as well as other butterfly-friendly plants around our driveway. You may need one or two more in your garden. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoping you don't sustain any damage in this hurricane...Take care, praying for your! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy for you that you finally got your flutterby shots.

    Be safe this week Helene. I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear from you. I am thankful you are okay, and your family too.. Thankful you got your power restored andmily can come stay with you. The What a huge tragedy this storm has unleashed.. So sorry to hear about the theft.. So sad.. Wish I could do something to help you besides give money to the Red Cross.. Thanks for letting me know how you are.. Daryl in N Y is okay too. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Helene,
    These photographs are beautiful!
    I planted a butterfly bush for the first time this summer, and the butterflies it attracted were wondeful.
    So many that I'd not seen before.
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Helene. I hope you've come through Sandy intact and that you and your loved ones are doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can imagine how hard it would be to get out of to shoot like things are normal, but it is not. When the time is right for you to take photos again you'll know.. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!