Friday, September 14, 2012

Wildwood Days - Games & Prizes...

I recall the first boardwalk prize I had ever won...it was a hugh white bear with a big red ribbon.  I was probably about 5 years old and the thing was bigger than me but I insisted on carrying it.  And I recall exactly how I won it...by placing a nickel on the shamrock and spinning the wheel.  That was quite a prize for a nickel.  Today, you've got to invest a lot more for a much smaller prize.

Some of the prizes today on the boardwalk or just as large or larger than that white bear and then there are some that are considered consolation prizes.  Nonetheless, any child walking away from a game stand with any prize is still thrilled.

Let's go pop some balloons, shoot a water gun, or spin a wheel and see what we get...


The elusive Angry Birds...waiting to be snatched up
by one of those big cranes.

Skee-ball...my all-time favorite!
 
Helloooooooooooo Kitty, or whomever you are!
 
Watermelon, lemon, orange heads...all with big mouths...
I had no idea what these were but they were
certainly tough to grab with that crane!

 
Still there....she was there last year and
she is still there, standing guard on the
exterior of a video pirate game.

 
4 Kings...my grandson threw all 5 balls down the ramp on
this boardwalk poker game and managed to get 4 kings.
The machine dealt it...heard that one before!
 
So glad this dude did not come home with me.
On the upside...he could have sat in the
passenger seat and I could have used
the HOV lanes!
Did you win the prize you were after?  Or did you come home with the consolation beaded necklace?  Whatever you got, it was still a thrill.   I'll meet you on the boardwalk soon for some real eye-opening sights.  Make it in front of the Kohr's ice cream stand...I need a chocolate cone with chocolate sprinkles!

6 comments:

  1. Fun images and commentary, Helene. Used to love these carnivals as a kid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the midway games... I'm not good, but my husband is. Once he won a huge Scooby Doo stuffed animal.. I gave him to our neighborhood library to put on the shelf above the children's books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was great fun .. vanilla please .. sprinkles oh yes please

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she's doing okay.

    The colors, lights, and noise of a midways can be a real overload. Tends to send me dashing for comfort. . .like cotton candy or hmmmm, yeah. Ice cream! Do they have mint chocolate chip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Forgot to mention the mint...must make sure to add chocolate sprinkles to that too!

      Delete
  5. I sitll love skeeball--but has been ages since I played it.

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!