Friday, August 31, 2012

Eggplant...


It's a vegetable.  It's a color.  All I know is, when the market came into the office and these were displayed I had to buy some...not to eat, to photograph.


So this is what is has come to - I'm now buying food to photograph, not to eat.  This is a double-edged sword.  It's great subject matter but then I have this food to deal with.  And, in this instance, I'd never made eggplant before; I'd never even eaten it.  Yes, I know, I've been sheltered.


Thankfully, I was rescued by a friend who relayed a simple recipe.  I'm all about simple.  Do not depend on me to spend any significant amount of time on preparation.  So when all I needed to do was peel, slice, coat with olive oil, dust with breadcrumbs, add some garlic salt, pop them into the toaster oven and add grated Parmesan cheese as the finale, I knew I was in business.


Now, I can't get enough of purple!  And I'm sooooo looking forward to market day and other colors to explore!

12 comments:

  1. I love aubergine! The color and the vegetable. I also love the creamy white ones and the thin, Japanese style ones. I agree they are beautiful.
    I tend to cut them in half lengthwise, dab some olive oil on the cut side, put on baking sheet and roast in 350 deg oven for an hour. Scoop out the flesh roughly chop, add chopped greek olives, garlic and tahini and a spray of lemon juice - Baba Ganoush!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous. And I bet it tasted quite good that way, didn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty photos -- but did you like the eggplant? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're very pretty. I love food photography. Eggplant - not so much. It makes my mouth itch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh! I love these gorgeous shots! I grew Japanese eggplant two years in a row and was knocked out by the blossoms. They're beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great close-ups. Love the white eggplant. I could eat eggplant every day and not grow tired of it. Yum. In that last photo I think they look like two eggplants that love each other very much ... the way the one eggplant is leaning into the other says a lot about eggplant body language! ;) Best shot of the bunch in my opinion: beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. be careful, your exotic food addiction will turn you into a gourmet cook! :D
    your photos are absolutely gorgeous! i once bought some star fruit for the same reason. turned out they were pretty tasty! bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the color of eggplant, but you can't pay me to eat one! (one of the few veggies I don't like)... congrats on winning the coffee! Thank you for sharing on Weekly Top Shot #46!

    ReplyDelete
  9. At first glance I thought this was some sort of sea life! How wonderful to see that they are eggplant! Great job and I love the colors! They are good eating too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. we used to have farmer's market wednesdays here at the office 'caf' but not this summer .. i am now double bummed because i missed a lot of food ops .. er .. foto ops ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are very pretty. My husband grows them. We had eggplant Parmesan this weekend. It isn't my favorite thing, but covered in lots of other things, like tomato sauce, it's OK.

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!