Friday, August 3, 2012

Dog days....



The dog days of summer...what does that mean?  Webster says it's the days between early July and early September when the hot sultry weather of summer occurs in the northern hemisphere and/or it's a period of stagnation or inactivity.  The words 'dog days' have something to do with the constellations and the dog star, Sirius, rising and setting with the sun.  It was once believed that the heat of this star added to the heat of the sun, resulting in those sultry days.  Over time and with the shifting of the earth, these days, today, are supposed to take place between July 3 and August 11.

Sultry, stagnant, inactive...yep, they're here.  I've felt it all week.

Some sultry places from the archives...
Dominican Republic

Flowers in Mexico

Sandy Hook, New Jersey

12 comments:

  1. Dogs have a way of saying it all without speaking. Sweet shot.

    (I saw the cutest beagle puppy yesterday. It's still making me smile.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! i second angela. too hot today to leave the house (and the AC).

    the palm tree capture is gorgeous! wonderful lighting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That shot was taken with an old P&S I had back in 2005 on my first trip out of the country. I may have to revisit the shots from that trip and play with them in PS Elements just for fun.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I've ever seen your dog, Helene. So cute and doing what dogs do best I see.

    We had a break in the weather today -- in the 80s. :) Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures you show - I'm "crazy" with the first picture of the dog ..... love dogs.
    Wishing you a good Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent pictures! "Flowers in Mexico" is out-standing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splendid - Splendid - I like your series of photos - :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sure felt it last week...all week was just too tired to move. Love your last shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the crop on the ocean photo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish I could just conk out like your pup, to escape the heat would be a blessing! Thank you for sharing on Weekly Top Shot #42!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shots. I really like the 2nd and 4th ones.

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!