Saturday, July 7, 2012

Summer kitchens, mint and mushrooms...

(a Weekly Top Shot entry)

Saturday...the end of the week.  I just realized I've been on vacation all week and haven't done much of anything.  Usually I have a list of things that need to get done but, with the weather the way its been (day #10 of a heatwave in central NJ), who wants to even move.  So, here I am, with only the weekend left, reviewing all the unnecessary things I did do...

#1 - Rediscovered my grandparents' grave site...I hadn't been there in about 45-50 years.  The cemetery was not easy to find but the grave was even harder.  The tombstone is written in Russian but somehow I recalled the area where they were and was successful.  I managed to copy the lettering for translating later.  This stone was set in 1933, the year my grandfather died.


#2 - I did manage to get in some walking early one morning with a friend and did 4 miles along with several errands and also got the tombstone lettering translated.  My girlfriend's mother is Russian so we stopped for a visit and her translation services.  I would not have missed this for the world...it was like stepping into the past.  First off, her home is an older home complete with a massive garden, grape arbors, and a summer kitchen.  That's where we found her...frying bacon and eggs in the kitchen in the basement...a summer kitchen.  Every house should have one!  I also got to pick a ton of mint she had growing in the garden.  Years and years ago, we had a neighbor who grew mint and we would sneak into the yard and sit under a tree and munch on the mint leaves.  They're still just as minty and refreshing as they were back then.  I'm going to try and root some for planting and also dry some out for tea.


#3 - Did lots of gardening and watering...well, mostly watering.  My clematis has finally taken off.  In fact, the one plant looks so good, I planted another.  It's always amazing to me that, in extreme heat, most things are slow to grow; most things except weeds.  Along with a few weeds I discovered mushrooms this morning.  At first, I always think they are so pretty or unique and then I realize what they really are...fungus.  Too bad these are not edible.

I know I took a lot of photographs, many of which I'm not thrilled with, and I know I did other things but it's just too hot to recall them at this point.  And, speaking of too hot, I'm supposed to be at my girlfriend's pool in 15 minutes.  Maybe I'll remember more when I cool down.

Stay hydrated, stay cool, and enjoy the weekend!

16 comments:

  1. Our weather has been very similar here in Maryland. Thank God we only lost power for one night. Such a blessing to be able to cool off inside. Love the idea of the modern summer kitchen. Excellent!
    And I love your fungi. They are quite pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a girlfriend whose family had a kitchen in the basement -- you are so right, it was used in the summer. I had no clue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, Helene, I liked it much!
    Cheers from Argentina.
    HD

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool that you rediscovered your grandparents grave sites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A summer kitchen - now that is thinking! I think my summer kitchen is the grill outside - at least it doesn't heat up the house. Our weather finally broke today and we received much needed rain.
    Those mushrooms are very pretty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh if I had known you were free I would have said come into the city and hang with me! next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos! Enjoyed my visit here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Please stop by again!

      Delete
  8. I love old grave sites...It is surprising how pretty the flowers can be, even in this heat

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've done some genealogy myself. finding a family member's grave sight has this feeling of solving a murder mystery.

    and i like your cute little mushrooms standing on their skinny legs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Walking 4 miles in the heat is definitely something! And love that you found your grandfather's gravesite (again.) Happy swimming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Светлая память вашим русским предкам.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Большое Вам спасибо

      Delete
  12. Love your shots! Sorry I'm late visiting so late to thank you for sharing on Weekly Top Shot #38... I've not been feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having a summer kitchen makes sense to me! I love mushrooms! We usually have some pretty interesting ones in the woods near my house but this year has been so dry that they are not fruiting as they normally do. I love these ... so lacy and delicate. Fungus they may be, but they are infinitely interesting and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!