Thursday, July 19, 2012

Get back...

The photo club at work is gearing up and it looks like it will be a success.  Today we had a guest artist who spoke about her work and techniques.  To say the least, it was an eye-opener or at least a reminder.  I too often forget to really look at my surroundings.  I've been extremely guilty lately of setting up the camera, clicking away, and not really thinking about what I want to achieve.  Afterwards, I'm sitting in front of the computer monitor staring at one picture (not photograph) after another that almost all look the same....flowers, flowers, flowers, flowers, birds, birds, birds, birds, blah, blah, blah, blah!  I need to make some changes.  And it's not just the subject matter; it's the depth of the photos that's troubling me.

Helmetta Pond in Winter
With this thought in mind, I've been revisiting some really old files.  I started looking at them with the intent of pulling out photos for my tumblr site (www.photokismet.tumblr.com or click on the page at the top) but started to realize that not so long ago I was giving my photographs a lot more time, energy, and thought then I have been of late.

Flower Stall, New York City

So I really need to get back...get back to giving more thought to the craft, more concentration when I look through the viewfinder, more care when considering a subject.  And I need to go out and get the photo; it's not going to walk up to me and jump into my camera.  Thank you Madelaine Shellaby, you've certainly given me something to think about.

Handblown Glass Balls in a Store Window, New Hampshire

9 comments:

  1. Get back, get back to where you once belonged...

    Sorry, I didn't look up the lyrics but this was how I remembered them.

    My main thing is flowers. And possibly birds. Oh well. :)

    But then again, I get back to what I love to photograph. To each his own. Whatever speaks to your soul is what you need to capture and what you love will come out in what you choose to photograph. Yes? Every person who peers throughout that viewfinder has a different and unique perspective on the world.

    Love the last shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, I had to do all I could to keep from writing out the lyrics. We are on the same wave length!

      Delete
  2. well, i think these are lovely and "thoughtful!" but it's always good to hear tips from like-minded people for a swift kick in the butt when you feel things are a little stale. (which can to said about things other than photography too.)
    ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right...lots of things get stale! LOL

      Delete
  3. The hand blown glass balls is my favs....I haven't been at it that long but I get it...even with flowers is there something we can do that's different?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love flowers but I think I need to start looking at the roots!

      Delete
  4. So true - sometimes we have to look at things differently and work harder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again...beautiful pictures! Great composition. I really like the colorful glass balls. I need to follow your lead and get closer to the subject/object of my pictures and let my camera crop the pictures. It's very creative and artsy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, the time has flown by, I can't believe it's Wednesday already... I've been outside painting the house everyday, all day! Love your entry, thank you for sharing on Weekly Top Shot #40!

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!