Saturday, May 12, 2012

You can't beat it...

a Jersey tomato...you can't beat a Jersey tomato for taste.

(a Weekly Top Shot entry)
A young tomato plant.
For the past 3 years I've been planting tomatoes.  The first year I didn't have a garden in the backyard so I planted one plant in the azalea bed right off the front porch and now I'm hooked.  My second tomato season was OK and last year was terrible.  I suspect it had something to do with the less-than-prime top soil the lawn guy filled the planter with...hmmmmm.
Tomatoes in the making.

This year I'm working in advance to cut my losses.  I'm told the most important rule to follow is to not plant before Mother's Day.  Well, I'm planting ON Mother's Day because I'll be at work during the week and the plants are getting too large for their pots on the deck.  And I really don't think we'll be having any more frost.  One day better not matter.  I've added new top soil and even mixed in some cow manure and humus.  This I did on a day when the congestion from my head cold was at its peak so the only people that may have 'suffered' might have been the neighbors if the wind was blowing in the right direction.  For a final step, I've been told to put down some newspapers and cover that with mulch.  This should keep down the weeds and keep the soil moist during dry periods.  And I'm using the NY Times so I'm hoping for a 'liberal' crop.

A hanging basket of cherry tomatoes for the deck.

Do you recall Ouiser Boudreaux, Shirley MacLaine's character in the movie Steel Magnolias, and her tomato crop?  Am I turning into a 'Ouiser?'  I wonder if she went through all this trouble?  Oh boy!

The 2009 harvest....even cucumbers were abundant that year.
Now I'm off to check on the manure.  Have a wonderful, fruitful weekend!
Happy Mother's Day!

15 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post and pictures. You're too funny. Enjoy your weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. liberal crop...heh, heh. one should not be conservative when it comes to tomatoes. i bought my plants TODAY at the farmer's market! came home and turned the soil once more for luck. i can't wait to get planting. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy... I've been sick for weeks and have been 'vegging' out on weekends so I can make it through my work weeks... so my gardens haven't gotten started at all, kudos for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and meant to say, thank you Helene, for sharing on Weekly Top Shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely details, Helene! I think you'll have great results after all the work you did to prepare the soil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures. Nice close up. Have a nice week. Greetings from Romania.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings back and thanks so much for visiting!

      Delete
  7. You are right! There is nothing quite like a Jersey Tomato! I can't grow tomatoes here since the squirrels pick the tiny green tomatoes off the vine, take one bite out of them and then toss them aside. Infuriating! Good luck with your crop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a squirrel problem - yet - but the birds did a number on many of the large ripe tomatoes last year. I have one cherry tomatoe plant in a hanging basket and am hoping for the best!

      Delete
  8. if you end up with too many tomatoes, call me, I am a tomato lover

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got to get mine in the ground this week. You've inspired me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need cucumbers and cabbage. Last year the rabbits ate all the cabbage....I so hope that had a good case of gas! LOL

      Delete
  10. Fantastic photograph, I like tomatoes. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful that you stopped by. Please come back soon!

      Delete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!