Thursday, May 17, 2012

Embracing change...

There was a time when I had absolutely no problem with change.  Bring it on!  Change brought new surroundings, new friends, new experiences, improvements, opportunities, etc. etc.  Some how, some where, sometime during the past year or so, I've changed my tune...not entirely but I now better understand how and why some people are uncomfortable with change and actually fight it.

Azalea detail
A while back I could absolutely not understand why my mother had to do the grocery shopping on Saturday...EVERY Saturday or why she must go to the hairdresser every Saturday at 9 AM...EVERY Saturday...at EXACTLY 9 AM.  Then there was the Social Security check...why must it be delivered by the postman and not direct deposited?  It took years of pleading to get that changed and what a blessing direct deposit was.  I no longer have to pick up the check, go to the bank to deposit it, withdraw the requested funds, and then go back to hand it over.  I know, I know...it's a simple task but, when you're working all week and have a ton of other tasks, that one change to direct deposit took a load off.

Not sure what this is but it's growing in various locations in the neighbor's yard.
I hope it makes it's way over to mine!
I guess my aversion to change started last year when I had the home invasion.  Everything changed.  Doors are locked ALL THE TIME, windows are not left open when I'm out, I watch EVERYONE and investigate every unfamiliar sound.  Please don't misunderstand...I'm so over it but I can't deny, it did change certain aspects of my life and I actually think I'm stronger in many ways.  BUT, I had to embrace change that I was either not ready for or not comfortable with.  I got to the place I needed to be, I won, but it was not a smooth ride.

Mountain Laurel detail.
So, here I am, getting ready to embrace another change.  My neighbors of 20 years have moved.  The two beautiful homes next door will soon be filled with new people.  And with this, the sounds of the neighborhood will change, different cars will occupy parking spaces, new faces will smile and say good morning (I hope!), new relationships will have to be tested, and new trusts will have to be developed.  Change in close-knit neighborhoods is sometimes tough.  I've too often seen people move into an area and totally shun advances from people to welcome them.  I am thinking positive and expecting only good things from this change and hoping it's a smooth ride.

Lupine...from my garden.
I miss my neighbors Maryanne and George and have terribly missed Frieda since she left but, until the new neighbors arrive and the change is complete, I get to stalk their yards for photo ops.  And I'm also trying to embrace another change....Shop Rite has once again rearranged the store layout.  Why do they do that?!?!?!   Ugh!

Sweet!

15 comments:

  1. I feel your pain/angst about change .. I dont mind it until its visual .. that really throws me off. Living in an apartment building, even one as small as our's (8 apartments, 6 tenants) when a new person moves in, there's an adjustment to be made. But its not as bad as when our IT Dept upgraded my PC (I am a MAC person .. except at the office) with Outlook's latest version .. HATE IT .. digressing here .. why is it when I visit you I end up writing a post vs a comment? LOL! Sorry ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your 'posts!' Information exchange...that's what it's all about!

      Delete
  2. these are gorgeous captures! the mountain laurel is pretty alien looking.
    we are so chummy with our neighbors to the west that we've agreed that if either of us move, we'll need to have enough land so the other family can build next door. we constantly borrow tools, cat food, or ingredients, or leave left-overs behind in each others refrigerators. it's a sweet arrangement! can't imagine not having them there. hope you end up even half as lucky as we are! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always believe that change is good. Whether I like it or not or whether I'm comfortable or not. Change makes me grow as a unique individual. Change brings challenges in life. Lovely pictures and a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing ever really stays the same... I like some things to stay the way they are and sometimes, I even go looking for change. Fickle me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never liked change...but I am finally sorta getting used to it. It seems inevitable whether I like it or not.
    Beautiful pics too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some change is hard to embrace... so sorry about your home being broken into, that would be positively un-nerving! Sorry I been so quiet these last couple weeks, I’ve been really ill (now finally diagnosed with Whooping Cough even though I was immunized) and have had another very rough week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are stunningly beautiful captures (first one my fav)! My life has always been about change. I've lived in so m any different places under many different circumstances. Once in a while I welcome that change because it makes me grow as a person. Even the negative bits have made me what I am today. Open your heart to your new neighbors Helene and they might continue to let you stalk their yards! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boo hoo...my yard stalking days are limited. They have plans to put up a fence for their barking dogs. BUT, fences make good neighbors, so I've been told.

      Delete
  8. Great images. Don't change that!

    “Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.” -Marilyn Monroe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who would have thought Marilyn had said that! I'm definitely going to use that in the future! Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Helene -- this is a great post. I used to embrace change too. "Go with the flow", I'd always say. Now I fight it tooth and nail, of course--then when I have no choice, I embrace it. But Deno is right, it's always a new door to walk through as a new person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I particulary love the first picture...
    So gorgeous !
    Best regards from Paris,

    Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photographs Helene, and what a great post.
    I can surely understand how you feel about the uncertainty of new neighbors.
    I would be very nervous if one of my neighbors left.
    The other one? I would help him move!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!