Sunday, April 29, 2012

Soul train...

(A Weekly Top Shot Entry)

Well, I originally set out to photograph and post something about the Acela Express which passes my office building but it went totally wrong...a bad angle, poor lighting, and the wrong lens nixed that idea.  So, here we have some 'water cooler' chat with some photos taken of flowers I received for Administrative Assistants' Day.  The train idea and chat resulted in the post's title.  I know, I'm groping but please, work with me here...
* * * * * 

Do you put your soul into your photos?  Can you? Have you been able to achieve this? This was one of the discussions this Friday afternoon around the water cooler….well, actually around the sink and coffee machine.


What does it actually mean when you put your soul into your photographs? What do you get?  I think it means you're creating a photograph that expresses the 'inner' you, your own interpretation, or your own unique take on that particular shot but, at the same time, I suspect it’s something bigger. And I think it takes time and guts.


How many photos have you seen of the Brooklyn Bridge? Tons, right? But there is that one that actually speaks to you. Maybe it’s conveying strength or size or a certain mood but the photographer has been able to put their soul into the photo of that bridge and express it to you, the viewer. Some way, somehow the photographer has gotten across to you what he has seen and felt at that moment in time when he tripped the shutter.


I’ve seen many photos that have spoken to me. Some have been very meaningful and then there are those that are just saying the guy who took this photo is crazy.  Wait a minute, didn't they say that about Van Gogh?  But then, someone will come along and hear or see what that photographer wanted to say or convey. They will see his soul in the photo.


OK, so I’m not at the point where I’ve been able to put my soul out there. Honestly, I’m not actually sure where to look for my soul. And how do you go about finding it? I suspect it takes a lot of time and introspection (Whoa, that’s a word I haven’t used in forever).  Maybe one needs to meditate or just spend some solitary, quiet time with the craft? Maybe you need to become one with your equipment? Hmmmm, that’s deep.


So, think about it.  Is your soul in your photographs?  Have they spoken to someone?  Well, I don’t know if I’ll ever arrive at that point but the journey is sure lots of fun.


PS...The pollen count was very high in my house this weekend.

22 comments:

  1. Lovely, absolutely lovely images and words. I actually think you bared a bit of your soul in that second to last shot. I can't explain why of course, but it's like that surprise colour at the edges is a playful twirl of your skirt when nobody is looking. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and images :).
    Stay inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After this response I definitely had to go back and re-examine that photo! Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Favorite ImAgE’s with you to create your own Facebook imotikanas large (very easy) .Very exclusive ImAgE’s and article thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. Oh those lovely floral macros speak to me! Soul in an image... I think when you shoot what draws you will draw others... that seems to be my experience. Thanks Helene, for sharing on 'Weekly Top Shot.' :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing macros Helene! I love the third photo: delicate, warm, beauty. You've done a fabulous job on this flowers. Interesting take on baring the soul, I have to agree with Madge... when you shoot with feeling it shows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helene -- you've gotten to me with the macro shot of the gerbera daisy. Great composition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see a lot of soul here along with pollen .. and from now on every time I take the Acela I will think of you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you have "arrived"...these are gorgeous, and your love for each tender flower, each spec of pollen is evident...I think I see some soul residue amongst the pollen granules.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great... I totally see some soul in these photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Душу я нашел в Любви. В Любви к своей жене. В любви к жизни…

    Прекрасные фотографии. Прекрасные слова. Спасибо.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For me, it is about capturing the inherent beauty around us and conveying that sense of beauty to others who don't necessarily see it.
    That's a part of my soul - not taking the things around me for granted.
    I see part of your soul in these photos - the fine details of beautiful flowers. Simply wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow....great photo work, so stunning macros ..
    Best regards, Karin

    ReplyDelete
  11. The detail is great, along with the DOF. I tried to count the pollen at my house, but I kept losing count once I ran out of fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The last macro of pollen is outstanding. Yours is a lovely blog. Happy blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are outstanding, Helene.

    Your post made me think. (Ouch!) I think my "soul" as you put it, is in my editing. That's where I connect with the photo. Just my two cents. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I take snap shots more than photos! Your photos make me say 'Wow' So I think there is soul in them

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely macros...
    Best regards from Paris,

    Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. such a beautiful collection!
      i would have to add though that i judge van gogh's craziness based on his ear removal. ;o)

      Delete
  17. Helene, these are gorgeous captures. Hard to pick a favorite here. I love the last shot of the pollen best and maybe the second red flower too. Great thoughts. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your photos are just amazing! I am so in love with them!

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!