Saturday, April 7, 2012

Paskha

with help from Paul Newman...

Somewhere early on this Lent I decided this Easter was going to be a little different.  I think my decision had something to do with a conversation I had with my mom while looking over some old holiday recipes.  She remarked how she could no longer make all those special foods like she used to and I could hear the sadness in her voice.  I think it was at that point I decided to try my hand at some homemade traditions....homemade Babka and homemade Paskha.

Mom's recipe from years ago.
Note her handwritten change to this recipe.
Click HERE for recipe.
Well, here I am making homemade cheese or Paskha.  The photos aren't spectacular or special but I had to document this event.  After all, this is a 'first' for me and, if this comes out great and no one believes I actually did it, I've got it all on 'film.'

Sugar, butter, eggs, farmer's cheese, whipping cream and vanilla.
If this comes out like Mom's, I'll be thrilled!

It was messy, it was time-consuming, but it was fun.  Hopefully, the end result will be worth it.  I think it will be.  I'll know in a week when Orthodox Easter arrives.

A cheesecloth-lined flower pot as a mold sits in a container to catch run-off and
weighted down with the heaviest item in my pantry.
Thanks Paul Newman!
Chag Semeach to all my friends who are celebrating Passover and Happy Easter to all who are celebrating Easter this Sunday.  And to all Orthodox Christians, may you have a Passion Week full of peace, prayer, and reflection as we approach Easter on April 15.

10 comments:

  1. Helene, Enjoy the 15th, and post pics of the Cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I wondered how Paul Newman could help and had to chuckle when I saw how. Hope it's wonderful, but either way, it's a start and your mother should be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! Looking forward to the cheese shots. Nice shot of Newman's jar. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I wish I was going to be able to see your mom's face .. what a wonderful way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's wonderful that you are keeping a family tradition alive. hope it's a success! wish i could sample a nibble. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I hope it is a smash hit! Let us know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did a 'cheese check' last night and it's still draining. Also did a little taste test...so far I'm happy! The pot cheese I used to make it was $5 per lb. and I needed 3 lbs....it better turn out good! LOL

      Delete
  7. So, it's like a sweet cream cheese and not a "cheese" cheese then. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct! We usually spread it on homemade Babka which is a bread but a sweeter bread...heaven!

      Delete
  8. I, for one, have total faith in your abilities and look forward to seeing the result of your labor! :)

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!