Monday, April 16, 2012

Easter egghaustion...

(A Weekly Top Shot entry)

I don't believe I've ever cooked so much for a holiday as this Easter but it was worth it!  And, after all the 'talk' about making homemade bread and cheese, I thought I better get crackin' and post some photos of the results.

So, here they are...just two photos but I was thrilled with the results.  The babka was a snap to make thanks to a recipe from the Artisan Bread In Five Minutes A Day book.  The cheese, however, was not something for anyone who wants a simple process and quick results.


Unlike older family recipes, this babka required absolutely no kneading.  You can make the dough and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days prior to baking.  I would not go longer than 4 days but the dough has to be cold when you're ready to start baking.  I also cut the recipe in half...a full recipe calls for 16 (yes, 16!) egg yolks.


The cheese recipe produced enough cheese for a flower pot mold and then some.  This is a mini cheese I made with the excess and decorated with a Russian cross from my mom.  She was thrilled to get it.  And this cheese, spread on babka, is out of this world.


Butter decorated with a Russian cross ready for the Paschal Easter food basket.  No, this is not homemade (LOL).  Easter food baskets get blessed on Saturday afternoon before the mid-night church service.  One of the hardest things to do is NOT eat any of this great food until after the service.

Hope you all had a great holiday and weekend, whether you celebrated or not.  Spring is here and it's time for new beginnings.  For me, I'm so tired, I'd like to hibernate for about a week or maybe sit around and enjoy the leftovers!

9 comments:

  1. I understand the exhaustion...your photos look so yummy...the cheese is pretty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! My first visit, will visit you again. Seriously, I thoroughly enjoyed your posts( really interesting pics). Congrats! Would be great if you could visit also mine... I wish you a wonderful day with very smiles and peace. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks SO marvelous! The bread, golden perfection and the cheese, looks so yummy! Thank you, Helene for sharing on 'Weekly Top Shot...'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Le "Babka" a l'air très bon...
    Bonne journée,

    Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so delicious...especially the bread! I get the exhaustion...sheesh...I could crawl into bed and wake up on Monday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cheese is gorgeous. And I imagine it tastes awesome with your bread. Good job, Helene! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All my favorite foods in on one post...oh my! The bread looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Воистину Воскресе!

      Delete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!