Friday, March 2, 2012

To market, to market...

Ahhhh, Friday night!  This is the first night all week I've had really nothing to do.  I could have gone to the gym; even felt a little guilty as I strolled by on my way to the parking deck but, the thought of getting all the 'necessaries' done, heating up some foccacia, pouring a glass of wine and hunkering down in front of the monitor won out.

The 'necessaries' included a stop to buy a card, a bank run for mom, and a visit to a market I haven't been in lately.  This market is very cool...every time I go there, I make believe I'm in a foreign country, doing my daily shopping.  The place consists primarily of fruits and vegetables manned by people of Asian descent with a deli/bakery in the back manned by people of Russian descent; thus the feeling of being in a foreign country.  Then there are several rows of shelves stocked with products labeled all in Russian as well as a freezer section full of unique items which I can't always identify.  Here's where I got in trouble.


So, I picked up spinach because there was much conversation in the office about how great it is for your eye sight.  Then there were some nice looking tomatoes I could not pass up because I am yearning for the garden to get started.  And then a stop at that 'foreign language freezer.'  I'm thinking about Easter and how my mom used to make homemade cheese.  As the holiday draws near, you cannot get hold of farmers cheese for her recipe.  This place has it so I picked up a pound of that with the hope of finding my mom's recipe and taking a crack at this wonderful cheese.  But then I spotted the fish.  True confession...I love sardines...in olive oil....over tomatoes....on a bed of lettuce...with a little salt.  I can hear some of you moaning now.....'How awful!'  But, be honest, we all have our little 'things' so I'm asking for tolerance.


The problem here is that I can't read Russian let alone speak it.  Yes, I took Russian lessons as a child and I can recite some of the alphabet and I can sing some Russian songs and say prayers in Russian but, reading it, that's another story.  So there is this container of little fish staring at me.  I think they're sardines.  They look like sardines.  I hope they're sardines.  I couldn't resist after they jumped off the shelf and into my cart.

Even though sardines were not on the menu tonight, I could not resist opening that container for a sample.  What did I buy?  Well, apparently this company does not de-bone but I'm not a coward so I jumped right in.  Hmmmm, they taste sort of like sardines but, not exactly.  And they're all different sizes, unlike the US packaged brand I usually buy.  They are definitely in olive oil...I think that's olive oil.  And, for the $3 I spent, I think I got the whole day's catch...there must be 30 in the container.


I'll continue to do my research and see what I can come up with as far as these little fish go.  I may have to call in my Russian speaking/reading/writing girlfriend to rescue me.  In the meantime, the foccacia is in the oven.

13 comments:

  1. How fun it would be to go shopping with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Barb, I'm not too fond of clothes shopping but, when it comes to food...it's an adventure!

      Delete
  2. now that's some pretty spinach! it seems to me that the ethnic grocery stores have fresher and better tasting fruits and veggies. hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didn't say if you liked the taste of the little fishies? Or not? Hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained in the world of food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, the jury is still out. I ate about 10 of those little guys and still could not decide. Tomorrow I will revisit the container. Hoping for a positive outcome since there are at least 2 dozen left! Yikes!

      Delete
  4. You are a bit adventurous, aren't you Helene? My husband likes sardines. Me, not so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful post to read Helene... I love tasting new things I haven't before and I am so sure you would be in heaven trying all the cheeses we have in the UK.
    Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheese?! Oh, yes! I could probably exist for quite some time on cheese, bread, olive oil, and wine! LOL

      Delete
  6. That spinach looks SO appealing... I like sardines but have to be in just the right mood for them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh...sardines...i can't get past the smell! LOL. I do love going to off the beaten path markets...so fun to see the different packaging and unique foods. I hope all was delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline, I laughed out loud over the 'smell' comment but, you are right. They do have quite an odor...especially these imported one. Whew!

      Delete
  8. We like spinach in our house as well. I gave up my true love.... cheese. Just to knock off a few calories you know. I must put spinach on next week's grocery list though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. good thing its time to get lunch, I am now very hungry

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!