Saturday, March 24, 2012

Do you want to know?...

(a Weekly Top Shot Entry) and (a Your Sunday Best entry)

Do you really want to know your numbers?  I’m referring to your DNA.  Do you really want to know?
Pretty intriguing, isn’t it?


Hand-blown mercury glass egg with
encased Russian church domes.
This week the medical department at the office presented a program to introduce interested employees to a company (www.23andme.com) offering to test your DNA.  If you fell into a certain category, you were offered the testing for free.  If you didn’t fall into the ‘free’ category, you should have consider yourself lucky!

You had to be age 21 – 65 AND fall into one of the following:
  • Diagnosed or being treated for pre-diabetes or Type 2 diabetes or have a fasting glucose >/=100
  • Blood pressure >/=140 over >/=90
  • Cholesterol >/=240
  • History of Coronary Artery Disease
Mercury glass egg detail.

Up until this point, the thought of having my DNA tested never crossed my mind.  But, it might be sort of cool to find out where my ancestors came from or what’s in store for me on the health-front…or maybe not.  Maybe just going with the flow might be the best thing.  Years ago, my ex used to tell me that, with my aristocratic nose, I was probably related to Tsarina Alexandra of Russia (I wish!).  Hmmmm, maybe this is why I’m reading War and Peace?  But, wouldn’t getting information like that be cool?!

Russian laquer boxes.
The front most depicts my church, Ss. Peter & Paul Russian Orthodox Church.

In any event, the checkbook is currently saying ‘no’ to the $207 all-inclusive fee for analyzing my spit; however, a dear friend is having hers done and I will anxiously await her report.  Right now, you’ll have to pardon me while I go look for my crown.

Russian wedding crown broach...gifted to me for my son's wedding.

18 comments:

  1. Lovely photos!! Enjoyed the story :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first shot is mesmerizing. My husband would qualify for that free DNA testing and thankfully I wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful photos....well i had my son's dna tested for a breese genealogy group, a distant cousin was trying to find if certain ancestors were in fact related...it was quite interesting to see the printout! it's a great genealogy tool...i was lucky that i didn't have to pay, she had a free test :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What splendid shots... love those glass domes... and the pearls! I'm not sure I'd want to do that, but I'll be someday it'll be done at birth (no choice) and will follow a person their whole life. Thanks for coming over and sharing on 'Weekly Top Shot,' I hope you share again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it would be fun to see where in the world my ancestors came from. I actually want both of my parents to do the DNA sample so I get the information but know what comes from which side. :-) Your pictures are exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. I wonder what the DNA yes would reveal. We have considered having our twins tested to confirm whether or not they are identical, however as they have grown we have assumed they must be, although they exhibit intriguing differences too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the little crown nestled in the pearls. I don't think I would want my DNA tested - less to worry about . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I'd want to know -- and what if the test result was faulty? I choose to live in an oblivious fog when it comes to these things. ;)

    Thank you for sharing at Your Sunday Best, Helene. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, now that is one expensive test!
    I absolutely love the crown, Helene.
    It is just beautiful.
    Happy Monday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. exquisite ... I fall into that category but I think I'd prefer not to know the future

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my that is too much for a spit hahahaha! But if it is free I would love my spit to be a guinea pig, who knows I might be a descendant of Genghis Khan since I love reading Asian books. Kidding aside go for it if it is free. It would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That first photo is simply stunning! You must have Russian in your background somewhere. It would seem you have many Russian-based treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Mercury Glass Egg is just gorgeous. Don't think I'd fancy a DNA test and certainly not at that price :)
    Great photography :)
    Thanks!
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick, just spotted your macros...whoa! I am a fan. Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. Come back soon!

      Delete
  14. I would be interested to hear how your friends test turns out! That egg is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, that glass egg is marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I fit into one of those categories and would LOVE to have had my DNA test done... How interesting, I'm sure that I would need a crown on my head after the test... AND, that glass egg is pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!