Sunday, February 12, 2012

It's not a nut...

By some standards I guess I could say that I'm pretty fearless when it comes to food.  Judging from the 5 - 10 lbs. I'd like to loose, I wish it were the other way around.  But, I usually give interesting and odd foods at least one shot...except in the case of this one.


With all due respect to my Asian friends, I cannot seem to wrap my head around the lychee nut.  Now, if it were actually a nut, hook me up!  But it's not a nut, it's a fruit and I'm sorry to say I'm not a real big fruit fan.  Luckily this changes in the summer but only towards the standards...peaches, pineapple, watermelon, etc.


So here is this bag of lychee nuts on the kitchen counter at work (thank you Dolly).  The large print on the bag was in Chinese and we only discovered what they were only after fully examining the bag and reading the fine print.  Believe me, there was a lot a speculation before we read that fine print.  From afar, they almost resembled cocoa coated chocolate (yum!) but someone popped one whole into their mouth and soon discovered that cocoa coating was actually a shell (yuck!).  Then there was the scent...for some odd reason their scent reminded me of a head shop I used to go in many, many moons ago (but that's a story for another post!).  Believe me, they had great jewelry there!


Anyway, no one dared give these delicacies a try...especially after our intern told us how she had consumed several as a youngster and had a deathly allergic reaction.  I was still curious so I scooped some up and deposited them in an envelope to take home.  Someone asked if I would be brave and give them a try later...Nope.  Well, what was I going to do with them?  Photograph them, of course!  After all, remember, I'm not a fruit fan and this is one crazy fruit!

15 comments:

  1. I think you are a little nuts, Helene! Just kidding of course. I found this post amusing -- I think you really need to try one of these fruits, just a little nibble? Have the phone nearby if you need to call 911. Hope you are enjoying your Sunday evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nancy, that's a good one...911. I may try one tomorrow in the office. That way, I'll have witnesses :)

      Delete
  2. The lychees we eat are so delicious, sweet and juicy. They look just like these on the outside but once peeled/shelled the flesh inside is white, dripping juicy sweet with a large seed in the middle. My guess is these may be extremely old and "off" or a different type of lychee. We have planted our own lychee tree, still very small, it produced one fruit last year, none this summer. You must try some fresh lychees sometime, although I wouldn't eat any which looked like this inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I researched, I did see fruit that was more more attractive. Hopefully I'll have an opportunity to give the 'good one' a try!

      Delete
    2. Just found out these are 'dried' ... thus, their appearance. LOL!

      Delete
  3. In fact, I just had some for lunch! All our children love them too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice captures Helene... I especially like the last image (4th) - excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not remember seeing these before...however you have photographed them in beauty of detail

    ReplyDelete
  6. and a truly fascinating photo .. I love macros and what a perfect subject

    ReplyDelete
  7. A cracking set of photos Helen, the shallow DOF makes good for the textures and pulls the subject from the background.
    I hope that you can find the time to follow along on my blogging journey.
    www.valleysshutterbug.blogspot.com
    Shaun

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the details you have captured here - lots of texture.
    I do like fresh lychees, I don't think I've ever tried the dried version (but I probably have, I just don't remember). We find them canned in these parts, definitely not as good as fresh, but does in a pinch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have to admit, i've bought food just to photograph it. it's a disease. you captured these "deliciously" though. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful DOF - it's actually quite beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!