Monday, January 23, 2012

Sleeping well...

Or is it ‘sleeping good?’ Hmmmm, if you were to ask someone how they slept last night you wouldn’t say ‘Did you sleep good last night?’ You would say ‘Did you sleep well last night?’ But, at the same time, you would say ‘I got a really good night’s sleep last night,’ not ‘I got a well night’s sleep last night.’ An English major I am not but that doesn’t matter here. What matters is that I’m finally sleeping, most nights, through the night – not waking up, not tossing and turning, no terrifying dreams – just sleeping. Hooray!

This has not come without a good deal of time, talk, and management. The cause of the sleepiness is finally gone out of my head, out of my spirit and I rejoice. The intruder who entered my home almost 5 months ago is no longer. Yes, he’s still out there but he’s not ‘here.’

So I address this to you, that guy who entered my home at 4 AM and wreaked havoc in my life BUT only for a short time. Listen up!

You do not have my home.   It is mine.

 You cannot make me insecure.   I am secure.

You found a weak point and took advantage.   There are no more weak points.

You cannot have my sanity.   I have too great a hold on it.

 You ran when I confronted you.   I won.

 Listen up!   I WON!

I WON!

And, as far as how you’re sleeping…in this instance, ‘good’ is an adjective while ‘well’ is an adverb. I have to say, I slept well last night. VERY WELL! Thank you.
Good morning!

18 comments:

  1. To get around all the good and well, I would simply say "How did you sleep last night?" Technically, it would be "I slept well last night." Did you have a break in? How scary!? Really? You need my three big dogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A home invasion...and now I have a cracker jack alarm system, getting some new windows, and doors. Things are looking up. Having slept very little in the beginning, I'm now back to normal. It's a wonderful feeling!

      Delete
  2. I love a good night's sleep! You are right about well versus good:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That good night's sleep is a beautiful thing! Thanks Kim!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you are sleeping WELL....great write-up. May he stay away for ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your invasion, glad you are settling down and getting some sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just don't realize how important or wonderful that full night's sleep is until we loose it. So good to have it back! Thanks!

      Delete
  5. You won! You did win! Great prose after a horrifyingly invasive experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did win but I sometimes feel like I won for everyone. How dare strangers come into our homes! Thanks so much, Jan!

      Delete
  6. Did you post about this previously Helene? Can't recall reading about it. In any event -- that would be enough to make anyone have trouble sleeping. You poor dear.

    I'm glad that you have dealt with this invasion of your sense of security. No one has the right to take that away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, this was the first I posted about this. I needed to get to the point where I could put 'pen to paper' and be completely free of this 'event.' It took me 5 months to get here and, although it was not without trauma, I have to say I've come away a more complete person. I learned things about myself that I did not know existed and reinforced and strengthened other things that were weak. This blog thing and this blog community really helped, keeping me focused and helping me to hang in. Thanks for helping me get over this speed bump!

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh! You go girl, stand strong don't let that person rob you of your self and your freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I am always shocked to hear about home invasions. I can only imagine what an ordeal that was. I am glad that you've healed to this point, and I pray that you'll get even stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness Helene, how scary this must have been.
    I am so glad you are okay, and beginning to sleep again.
    Bless you my Friend.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, thanks so much! This blogging thing and my blogger friends has really helped keep me focused!

      Delete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!