Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Flash Dance


The original box with seven of the original flash bulbs.
I've developed a habit of snooping when I visit my Mom.  I suspect, years ago, it was the other way around and she was snooping through my drawers.  But now, it's my turn.  This is not without purpose.  At the age of 95, my Mom has a habit of placing important papers or mail in spots she does not frequent and then there's my need to keep important documents  or pieces of family history or bills from being misplaced or destroyed.  So there you have it...a method to my madness.


On a recent visit I came across these old Westinghouse flash bulbs. They are probably about 45 years old.  You remember these right?  They are the ones that, when they went off, you were blind for at least the next three hours.  As I examined these and the box they were stored in, I recalled how my father was a bit of a photography fan.  There was always some type of camera around.  The last one I recall was a movie camera that shot 16mm film.  We had boxes of reels...footage of my brother and me walking home from school, a dance recital, a local fire, the local boat club, snow.  My father died when I was 12, my brother was 9, so the memories are not really vivid but, as I looked at these flash bulbs and thought about Daddy and his camera, a light bulb went off in my head.  No one in my family has shown a real passion for photography...or so I thought, until now.


Needless to say, these flash bulbs are going nowhere other than a safe place.  They are a link to my father and a passion we share.  Daddy, I cannot thank you enough.   Miss you...XOXOXO


12 comments:

  1. Excellent detail of these almost forgotten relics of our photographic past.
    It great that they still exist. Fine shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know where my love of photography came from...but I have loved it and longed for cameras since I was very young...maybe 3rd grade. I have a brother that shares the love...but I don't know if he loved it when young...

    It is nice to have this link with your dad...wouldn't it have been wonderful for him to be here to share it with you now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Helene,
    Thanks for stopping by Pixel Posts with your kind comment.

    Your photos are lovely and have such personal flair. The ballet slippers touched a soft spot in my heart, as I was a dancer many moons ago.

    I am looking forward to following your photographic journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brings back memories, although my parents used a different bulb. So much to be grateful for with digital camera these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember how hot they were after the flash? Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, how lucky you are to have found these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this series of shots! I understand finding something of seeming no consequence only to realize how important it really is! Why don't you come enter it in my Weekly Top Shot meme? We're on Week #12 and I'd love to see you share with me! Here's this weeks' link: http://www.theviewfromrighthere.com/blog/?p=5812

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun find. I remember having my picture taken with these. They are a treasure for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing this superb image with us on 'Weekly Top Shot!' I hope you'll come share again next week...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, those are some cool flash bulbs - I'm glad they made a connection with you.
    Thank you for your kind words on my blog! I'll be back to visit, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember those blinding flashes too! My dad also loved photography and I think influenced me to pick up that first camera. He encouraged me along the way. I miss him. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!