Friday, December 30, 2011

Kitchen Confidential

The elusive egg poachers.
I love kitchen stuff...any kind of kitchen stuff...but especially unique stuff. I can add the simplest item to my old kitchen and I feel like I've redecorated. So, this week, after the crowds subsided, I took a trip with a friend to a mall I rarely visit - first, to make an exchange and then, to visit stores I rarely if ever go in and, on the top of the list, those 'kitchen' stores. This shopping trip is brought to you by a gift card...yippee!

After taking care of that exchange and a visit to Bath & Body Works, it was onto the 'kitchen' stores...and I was on a mission.   I recently spotted these cool silicone egg poachers in a Solutions catalog and was hoping we would discover something similar.  We struck out at both the Pottery Barn and William Sonoma.  WS had the egg poachers but you had to purchase them with a pan and the entire setup amounted to over $100!  Yikes!   I know I had a gift card but I wanted to make it go a little further than just one pan!
Thermal glass mug, double-side coffee
measure and that crazy spoon that's
also a straw.

This disappointment left us hungry so we stopped at a really great restaurant... McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant - blackened catfish, steamed rice, broccoli, and curly onions for just $10.  Excellent!  Fortified, we continued our quest.

Bright Red!
Through a drenching rain, we made our way to an area adjacent to the main mall and found Crate & Barrel.  This was the first time I had been in this store (yes, I know, I've been sheltered!) and we went nuts.  Eureka!  They had two types of poachers - silicone and non-stick metal.  At $3.95 each I went for the non-stick.  With my gift card warmed up, I grabbed a shiny new coffee measure, two long-handled spoons that are also straws (wonderful for iced tea), a lidded basket for the bathroom vanity (to hide a ton of 'stuff'), a bright red thermal carafe (on sale!, for my Saturday morning coffee), a bright red tea pot (on sale!), a hand-blown glass mug (I think it goes well with my French press), and a new kitchen timer (with 3 settings!).

I suspect it will be quite sometime before I set foot in a mall again...I'm not thrilled with the crowds or the prices.  So, this adventure of sorts was just that, an adventure.

Tomorrow morning I will treat myself with two poached eggs and coffee in a new mug poured from a shiny red carafe.  It's a good thing to treat yourself well.  It keeps you happy, it keeps you sane, it gives you strength to carry on.  So, while you are treating everyone around you, make sure you don't forget you.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful time!! Enjoy your poached eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've outdone yourself with the creativity and the photos themselves. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fun quest -- one I would enjoy.

    Happy New Year Helene! Hope to see more posting from you in 2012 -- no pressure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just nominated you for The Candle Lighter Award!! Hope you enjoy it!
    http://ceeslifephotographyblog.wordpress.com/2012/01/01/i-was-nominated-for-the-the-candle-lighter-award/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Helene, you have awesome photos for all these kitchen gadgets. Thanks for the visit and Happy New Year!

    Macro Monday

    ReplyDelete
  6. These egg poachers are wonderful Helene!
    I love the simplicity of the design, and your photographs of them are wonderful.

    P.S. Bitter cold here in NY today too. Hope it passes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! sounds like you had fun! Your photos are so simple and clean - lovely! If I haven't already said it - "Happy New Year"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops - forgot to say, I'm following you now . . .

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!