Saturday, December 17, 2011

Dance fever...


My 40+ year old ballet slippers hang in the foyer.
If someone were to ask me what were the best memories of my childhood, I’d probably say they were the hours spent in dance class. In fact, thoughts of those classes come to mind at least three times a week – usually when I’m on my way home from work and pass by the ballet school across from the office or when I take a moment to glance out of my office window and catch a ballerina pirouetting across the school dance floor. When the trees are bare and the sun has gone down, you can see the ballet class practicing in the building across the street.

Not all the moments spent in class were joyful. There were those awkward painful years when the baby fat was holding on for dear life and I was well into my teens. Or those moments spent standing in the stage wings waiting to perform at the annual recital and you were sure the ribbon you had just sewn onto your ballet slippers was about to break...again.  But, for the most part, the 13 years spent in those slippers were loved and cherished.

All those afternoons when Miss Arlene kept nagging us to stand up straight, put your shoulders back and smile did not go to waste;  and the memorizing of routines and the endless practice was not for naught.  All of that did make a difference; it did have an effect.  I know all the dancers out there with 'dancer's feet' will agree with me.

And now that the ballet days are over, maybe I will take those piano lessons I so longed for as a child.

9 comments:

  1. If you have longed to play for so long, it is surely worth giving yourself the opportunity to learn. Your photo is in keeping with your reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smile as i read this post Helene.
    Some of my best (and worst) childhood memories are those from dance classes. Even well into my 20s. Then life "happened," but I still think about those times so often.
    Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this photo, Helene, and the memories you shared about your dancing days. Great to learn something new about you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wished I had taken dance when I was little. Love the photo of your ballet slippers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful shot of those ballet slippers...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Regarding the bokeh -- you are totally right. I use my 50mm lens on manual and unfocus the lights. Unless there's something more to it I don't know -- that's what I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. the simplest and beautiful way to convey the mood of watching a ballet...

    ReplyDelete
  8. trekking your amazing blog! keep blogging! happy holidays!

    cheers!
    ...TREK...

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!