Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A walk in the woods...




Location:  Davidson's Mill Pond Park
East Brunswick, NJ






The last time I walked through these woods was about a year ago and that was actually the first time I walked through these woods. Are you following me? Maybe you shouldn’t…you’ll only get lost!




                                                                                 Tall trees along the trail.....














 Life on the damp forest floor.....

I am not a hiker in any sense of the word…but I’m getting better. Last year I learned, AFTER my hike, that the trail is marked by posts with white tips. I also learned that the trail is covered with leaves in the fall making it really difficult to follow - especially if you can't find those posts.  You can imagine my confusion when I turned around after photographing something only to find that I could not find the trail and all the trees and leaves looked the same.

Kim and Joe were here.....

This year, the white-tipped posts are all gone. I didn’t realize this until I traveled a distance down the trail. Fortunately, a kind knowledgeable hiker explained that, for whatever reason, the posts had been removed and replaced by markings on the trees. Two markings, with one elevated to the right, indicates the trail bears off to the right; if elevated to the left, it bears off to the left. Three markings in the form of an inverted triangle indicate you’ve come to a fork in the trail and it’s decision time. And I also learned it gets pretty cool beneath the trees when the sun goes down…logical right? I told you I was not a hiker!

Colors along the shore line.....                                                                              





                                         

The fall colors have not really shown themselves much in central Jersey. I found a tree, here and there that stood out among the green and brown but, for the most part, we are still waiting. I suspect the erratic weather did a number on Jack Frost’s paint pallet and, if and when we do see the reds, oranges, and golds burst forth, it will be very short-lived. Most likely, the winter winds will make a surprise appearance one cold night and knock what color there is off the trees. It will either be that wind or that same person or thing that removed those posts along the trail.

Decisions, decisions....left or right?
When you take your walk in the woods, I hope you catch some warm autumn colors to brighten your cool days and, when you come to the fork in the trail, I hope you choose the path with the most sun. And don’t forget to take a sweater!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking us along on your walk, Helene. Such a beautiful day, I imagine. Love the tree with the heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those acorns remind me of the wonderful character from Ice Age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I just love the mushroom photo. Perfectly composed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so nice to meet you Helene, and what a beautiful blog you have!
    These photographs are wonderful. It looks like such a beautiful place to walk. With a camera of course!
    Thank you so much for your visit and kind comment.
    Have a wonderful evening!

    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dropping by here Helene. Did you walked alone? Like your photos here and the mushroom photo is awesome! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are wonderful! love the mushroom! that trail is stunningly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!