Tuesday, July 26, 2011

This garden thing...

Way back when I started this blog, I created a page specifically for this garden that I had planned out.  The garden did get done - I put the retaining wall up (fairly straight I might add), I had it filled with dirt, the lilacs, foxglove, lillies got planted along with cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbage, and strawberries.  And then the rabbits came along to feast on the cabbage...

What time does the buffet open?
and something unknown came along to reek havoc on the tomatoes.  The cucumbers did survive quite well but the birds did a number on the strawberries.  I've often wondered if they had champagne with those strawberries?  And the heat wave we just went through was not kind at all despite watering every evening.
Blackeyed Susans reach for the sun.



All in all, the garden did quite well for it's first season but I have come to realize that it basically took on a life of its own.  As much as I wanted to control how it grew, I could do little when it came to the rabbits; I managed to rid the garden of caterpillars - only after I realized they took on the same color as the plants they were eating; and the weeds - well, the weeds were and are about the only plants that are loving the heat.
Hang in there!  An interesting looking bug hangs onto a geranium.

I guess this garden thing is a lot like life all around us.  You can do only so much to control certain things but most of the time you just have to do your best, sit back and watch what happens, all the while hoping for the best.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!