Sunday, July 10, 2011

My favorite cake...today

There are certain things I can actually say are my favorites without a doubt - chocolate ice cream; the color green; baseball; etc.  But I can never really decide on a favorite cake.  Maybe it depends on the season or the occasion or who knows what but, truth is, I love all cake.

I make a pretty mean cheese cake, a carrot cake from baby food with cream cheese frosting, Southern Pecan Pie with bourbon and pizzelles that melt in your mouth but all this is not rocket science.  And my favorite cake today is truly a 'not rocket science' kinda cake.  Most (if not all) of the credit goes to JELL-O, Dole, and Cool Whip and a little to me for having the guts to tear the recipe out of the magazine in the doctor's office (Honestly, this was a first for me.  Honestly!)

So here is something called Angel Lush with Pineapple along with some of my own hints or tricks I picked up along the way...
Wish I had some seasonal berries!


 You will need:
  • 1 20 oz. can Dole crushed pineapple, undrained
  • 1 3.4 oz. pkg. JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding & Pie Filling
  • 1 Cup thawed Cool Whip Whipped Topping
  • 1 10 oz. round angel food cake cut into 3 layers
  • seasonal berries (optional)
Mix the pineapple and dry pudding mix in a medium bowl.
Gently stir in whipped topping.
Stack the cake layers on a plate, placing pudding mixture between each layer and on top.
Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.  Add berries before serving.

Hints/Tricks
  1. Remember - do not drain the pineapple.
  2. After you mix the pineapple, pudding, and cool whip place the mix in the refrigerator.  This is especially helpful is you're making this in hot/humid weather.  I've found that refrigerating gives the mix a little 'body' and makes it hold up better between cake layers.
  3. If you've bought a cake that's in a plastic bundt-type container, do not (repeat do not) run a knife around the sides to loosen the cake.  Some of you cake mavens out there probably already know this but I learned the hard way that, when you do this, your cake comes out looking like someone took a bad razor to it.  After you remove the lid, turn the cake onto a plate, gently give the plastic container a couple of squeezes and the cake will come cleanly out onto the plate - looking like you just spent 2 hours baking it.
  4. That toothpick-around-the-cake and cutting-with-a-serrated-knife thing they taught you in Home Economics really does work.

Honestly, this cake is delicious and a piece-of-cake to make and I really think I need to have another piece right now!  Do you have a favorite cake....today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!