Friday, July 29, 2011

Donna's Violets - a Macro Flowers Saturday entry…

See: Macro Flowers Saturday

For some reason, the office atmosphere has always been conducive to growing African violets. Well, maybe not always – I’ve grown my share and ruined my share. But I’ve seen lots of plants brought into the office in less-than-thriving condition only to perk up in a matter of weeks. Maybe it’s the lighting or the fairly constant atmosphere or temperature or maybe it’s the constant companionship.




Years ago I had a desk located in an alcove and, along one wall adjacent to large windows, I had 3 huge African violets growing. They were magnificent and, with my brown thumb, I was really thrilled. But then we moved to the manufacturing plant where the windows were tinted blue (yes, blue). The effect was beautiful – from the outside of the building; but inside it was another story. No matter what the weather or what time of day it was, it always looked overcast and cloudy. Needless to say, it was somewhat depressing. I’ve always attributed the demise of my magnificent African violets to those depressing blue tinted windows.






Well, years later and now in another office, the violets are once again thriving. They are not mine, unfortunately, but belong to a friend who sits out in the atrium. When Donna called me over to see them, we were in awe of how the petals sparkled in the sunlight coming through the skylights – a perfect photo opp. Donna nurtured this plant back to health and she’s as proud of its beauty as I was of my violets – years ago before those blue windows.




Hmmmmm, maybe it’s time I try my hand again with violets in the office. Do you have anything growing in your office?

11 comments:

  1. Wow!!I have seen the sparkles on African violet petals before, but you have done such a good job capturing them! I am totally in love with the last shot! I don't think I have ever looked at one so close before!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant colours and stunning macros. They almost look artificial because they are so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful pictures. African Violets are a beautiful plant. I have a few but my bird eats them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...das sind wunderschöne Aufnahmen....ein strahlendes Blau....
    LG: Karin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Helene! Thanks so much for visiting and commenting on my blog.

    I have several African Violets here at home and I'm sorry to say I've been a big neglectful. They need repotting badly. These photos are glorious and the color is amazing. Have never seen such a blue, blue violet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful captures!

    Does dust count?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Helene. What a great post. I have to walk over and look at those violets a little closer now--a lot to admire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this blue is so striking. I never grew an African Violet

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to read this to figure out what kind of violet. African explains the vivid color. We have purple and white violets throughout our lawn and they are so beautiful in Spring. I separated a very old African violet into two containers at the beginning of Summer. They are thriving although not as prolific as yours sound.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are very beautiful and as you sat, they don't need much care.
    Beautiful macros.

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!