Friday, July 1, 2011

Christ Church, New Brunswick, NJ

A study in black & white...

On my way to the camera shop the other day, I varied my route and did some exploring on the grounds of Christ Church http://comminfo.rutgers.edu/~lesk/church/ .  This is a parish rich in history.  Stepping onto the property, you almost get a sense of stepping back in time.  In all honesty, with July 4 around the corner, there were a few moments when I actually thought I would turn around to see a British officer in pursuit of General Washington as he made his way toward the Delaware River and Trenton.

Walking among the burial grounds, you can spot birth and death dates as early as 1732-1798 (Captain John Hodge) and gaze upwards to see the church steeple, appearing much as it did in the 1850’s.  Restoration of the church is currently underway with support from the Garden State Preservation Trust, administered by the NJ Historic Trust, State of NJ.  It will be interesting to see how history will be kept intact as this project moves forward.

Following are my very first attempts at black & white photos.  Since I'm programmed to think in color, I confess I found this exercise a little daunting  but I thought this subject lent itself perfectly to the black and white format.

Come; take a step back in time…

Click on each photo to enlarge.

The church bell tower and steeple, located at the corner of Nielsen and Paterson Streets.
Entrance to the church Memorial Garden on Paterson Street.
The church grounds, also the parish cemetery, where you can
find original headstones, crypts, and monuments.
Iron fencing surrounds several unique plots.
Iron work detail.
Toppled tombstones and above-ground crypts await restoration.



4 comments:

  1. Beautiful job capturing the feel and essence of this piece of history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work! I'm not a B/W fan but you are right, this subject looks wonderful in B/W.
    Beautiful perspective on the iron fence composition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi to every one, it's truly a fastidious for me to pay a quick visit this website, it consists of important Information.

    Have a look at my web blog - ecig

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is perfect time to make some plans for the future
    and it is time to be happy. I've read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it!

    Feel free to surf to my website e-cigarette []

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!