Sunday, May 8, 2011

Timing is everything...

You know what I'm talking about.  It's those moments when you catch all the green lights on the way home from work or you're in line at Shop Rite when a new register opens and the clerk calls you over or you're the millionth customer to pull up to the gas pump and win free gas for a year (yeah, like that's going to happen!).

After church today I took a path back to my car that I usually don't take.  It's not a heavily traveled walkway because there are so many cracks in the sidewalk.  Through the cracked concrete were growing the most beautiful Lily of the Valley.  I haven't seen this flower in quite sometime and thought it would make an interesting photo - you know, beautiful flowers growing up through concrete and all that.

I came back to the church property sometime in mid-afternoon to take some photos but decided to take the long way to get to those flowers.  There, along another walkway, hanging over the fence of the neighboring property, is a magnificent lilac bush.  Actually, it's so huge it's more like a tree and the lilacs have no fragrance.  But it wasn't the lilacs that caught my eye; it was a magnificent monarch butterfly moving from flower to flower.  I probably spent a good 10 minutes photographing him before he became camera-shy and flew off.

My photos came out OK; just OK.  I might have done better with a tripod but he wouldn't have sat still long enough to warrant that.  And it was awkward pointing my long lens upward toward the sky and keeping a steady hand.  But all this is secondary to the fact that my timing was just right to catch him in action.






I hope your timing is right this week and something brings a smile to your face - just as this chance meeting did for me.




P.S.  I did take the photos of the Lily of the Valley.  Maybe I'll look at them later.  And Happy Mother's Day!



2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this great post. I enjoyed reading it as much as I loved looking that the photos. It's spring!

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!