Monday, April 25, 2011

Rocking Chairs.....


Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire


When I was a little girl, I spent most of my weekends with my aunts who lived in Perth Amboy on Fayette Street.  The houses were so close, you could open the window, reach out, and shake hands with your neighbor.  At that time, there were Saturday afternoon walks to the soda fountain at Five Corners for chocolate ice cream sodas, a fenced-in yard with a big apple tree and a glider, hop scotch in the alley, and big green rocking chairs on the front porch.


Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire
Those rocking chairs were one of my favorite parts of summer.  No matter how hot it was (there was no air conditioning), how many bugs were in the air, how upset you were because your hair was fuzzy from the humidity, how tired you were - you always felt better in one of those rocking chairs.  Was it because they were so big (or I so small)?  Were they comfortable?  There were no cushions - just wood slats - so I have to say the comfort level was questionable. Or was it just the rocking;  that continuous, soothing, back-and-forth motion that could so easily lull you into a day-dreaming state, if not to sleep?  Maybe it was a combination of these and something magical that only rocking chairs have.


All of us, at some point in our lives, should have a rocking chair -  especially for those times when we are upset because our hair is fuzzy from the humidity.  I have three rockers I put on the front porch this afternoon.  They are not the green rockers from Perth Amboy but they do have green cushions.  Meet me there later.  Iced tea or lemonade?

Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire

No comments:

Post a Comment

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!